Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My husband sprinkled apron xl fungicide seed in yard where

Customer Question

My husband sprinkled apron xl fungicide seed in yard where our greyhound plays. Is this safe??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about the effects of exposing your pup to Apron xl fungicide seed.This seed is coated with a fungicide called mefenoxam (ISO-name: metalaxyl-M). It is considered non-toxic to fish and birds but is slightly more toxic to mammals.However the fungicide would have to be eaten in very high quantities to have any effect, much more than your pup would get just by licking up a few seeds or licking his paws after playing on the seeded areas. The NOAEL (amount that can be given with no observable effects) was 250 ppm, equal to 7.8 mg of pure fungicide per kg of body weight per day. In short as a precaution I would probably not let him play on the seeded areas until it was well watered and the seeded area had time to sprout, but if he did there should not be any concerns of toxicity.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I just wanted to make sure that you received my response and did not have any further questions. If you have questions feel free to respond or if you are all set please remember to rate my response so that I receive credit for my work, thank you, ***** *****