Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I just adopted Layla, a 2 year old female American Bulldog.

Customer Question

Hello, I just adopted Layla, a 2 year old female American Bulldog. She came from a very happy and loving home that she's been in all of her life, until now. Her previous owners had a baby, Layla unfortunately is just too loud and erratic and wakes baby. I picked her up a day and a half ago, in that time I've barely gotten her to eat, I haven seen her drink at all, and until this afternoon, hadn't gone to the bathroom at all. She's currently urinated one time (in the house) but has not had a bowel movement at all. Is this behavior just a sign of depression, and what can I do to make her better and to reassure her that I love her and she'll be happy here, too?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I do think these are just signs of stress. This is not necessarily depression, but it's stressful on a dog to change homes and change environments and day to day activities. The best way to get her back to normal, is to develop your own routine. I would try to offer food at the same time each day. Try to take her for a walk once or twice daily. This is great for bonding and to show her who to follow. It's also good for the mind to adapt to the new owners. The more you can stick with a routine, the easier it will be for her to adapt. I wouldn't get too worked up over the lack of bowel movements. Stress can lead to a dog slowing down their bowel movements. I don't get too worried until it's been 4-5 days with no bowel movement. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.