Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Took my dog hiking and camping this weekend. She is a nine

Customer Question

Took my dog hiking and camping this weekend. She is a nine yr old border collie/ flat coat retriever that weighs about 75 pounds. She hiked with us about 16 miles. I gave her one acetaminophen tablet this morning to help with arthritis. She made it the whole way but has been very lethargic and limping from possible sore feet this afternoon and into the evening. I am concerned after reading that acetaminophen could be poisonous and fatal to dogs. I plan to take her to the vet in the morning but worried that I may wait too long. It has been over 13 hours since I gave her the acetaminophen. What do you recommend?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Acetaminophen is safely administered at 6.8 mg/lb every 8 hours in dogs. That would be equivalent to approximately 500 mg every 8 hours for Bonnie. It's efficacy is circumspect, however. Aspirin is safe and effective at a dose of 10 mg/lb with food every 12 hours. You must avoid ibuprofen and naproxen - both of which are toxic to dogs. Bonnie's vet has more potent nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAID) for Bonnie such as carprofen and meloxicam should Bonnie remain painful. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.