Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

Chihuahua with foot bandage too tight hours. Foot swollen. Bet not in until tomorrow

Customer Question

chihuahua with foot bandage too tight for 3 hours. Foot swollen. Bet not in until tomorrow.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
hello there. I am sorry to hear about Tux's foot. I am happy to help you this evening. You have done the best thing. Gentle warm compresses and alternating ice packs will help distribute the swelling. Also gentle massage from the tip of the toes up towards the body will help distribute the swelling. Do this a few times an hour if he will allow it. Having him checked out by the vet tomorrow if the foot is not completely back to normal to make sure there is no permanent damage to the skin or food. If it looks back to normal and he is walking normally then most likely everything has resolved. As long as nothing is open and actively bleeding then he should definitely return to normal. No other medications at this time will do anything to reduce the swelling. It will just take time and heat/cold therapy and massage therapy. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tux. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead