Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is 12 and today I noticed him shaking his head which

Customer Question

My dog is 12 and today I noticed him shaking his head which he does when his ears are bothering him. I was about to put some sweet pea otic in it and noticed he had some dried blood in ear. I took a warm rag and cleaned what I could. It appears that he has scratched his ear causing it to bleed. Can I put some of the sweet pea in his here. I didn't put any in ealier because I did not want to hurt him. I cannot get all of the dried blood out of his ear. This is making it hard to see if there is another problem.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and hope to be of help to you and Kane today.Sorry to hear about Kane's ear infection or injury. I'm not familiar with sweet pea otic. . .what's in it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Water, propylene glycol, SD alcohol 40, dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate, salicylic acid, octoxynol 9, aloe Vera gel, dmdm hydantoin, benzoic acid, sweat pea and vanilla infusion
Thanks for your response. Sounds like good stuff, but might really sting his ear canal since it has been bleeding (think about how alcohol feels on a cut on us!). You could try just a little to see what his reaction is. The alcohol is diluted with water and propylene glycol, so it may be OK.The problem with seeing what is in ear canals is that they are long and curve or turn in toward the center of the dog's head. Plus, all of the debris you are describing would be obscuring a thorn or grass awn which needs to be removed with an alligator forcep by your vet.The sweet pea otic may be somewhat comforting for Kane. Try a little and let me know. . . .OK?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is an indoor dog only goes out on a leash so he should not have anything like that in his ear. I will try a little only, what should I look for tonight and tomorrow to know if he needs to be seen by a vet. His vets office closed at the end of June but I have all of his records.
If he is still uncomfortable and/or you are still seeing discharge. If the sweet pea otic is comfortable, then I would instill several drops into his ear canal and gently massage the ear canal from its furred side. This will help to break up the exudate. Then clean off only the exudate that you see. You can repeat this twice daily with the same massaging and cleaning. If within the week Kane becomes more uncomfortable or continues to produce more exudate, then he needs to see your new vet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much, we were able to get a little bit in his ear. It did not seem to bother him. We will continue this for a few days and if no improvement take him to be seen. Thank you it has somewhat eased a this pet parent mind!!!
Happy to hear that! This is really a big reason we are here, so thanks for saying so.Good luck to you and Kane. Make sure to get the otic solution down into his ear canal. I like to actually put the end of the bottle of solution down into the canal, and when you are massaging you should hear his canal squishing.Take care,Dr. Barbara