Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

I have a 4 month old beagle and we can take her outside about

Customer Question

I have a 4 month old beagle and we can take her outside about every 30-45 min and stay with her for about 5-7 min and she will come in and poop and pee on the floor she does this everytime. I don't want to have to give her away cause my kids are in love with her but I have 3 small children and am about to lose it. I have heard that you can get a litter box and rain a dog to go in there. I want her to go outside and use the bathroom but if she is to go inside I would rather it be in that than on be floor where my babies play and I don't want my house to smell. Please help me!!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!Few questions for you:1. How long have you had your puppy?2. When you take her outside, does she go the bathroom there before going inside?3. Do you give her any treats for using the bathroom outside?4. Do you use a kennel/crate for her when she is inside?5. Does she go to the bathroom inside during the night?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1: We have had her for a month.2: she Will sometimes pee outside but will NEVER poop outside just inside3: yes I have treats that I give her but she has only peed outside4: I had a kennel but all she would do is bark nonstop but I now put her in the laundry room with a baby gate.5: yes she does go to the bathroom inside during the night. Any chance she gets
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Got it, thanks!It sounds like Maiya has not yet made the connection that she has to eliminate outside. House training can be challenging and the most important aspect of it is routine and predictability. At the end of this post, I'll include a link to an article with lots of specific information on what to do but here is what I recommend to do for now:1. I think crate training will be the key to success, considering your busy schedule. Having Maiya confined to a crate when she is not supervised will allow you to keep her safe and eliminate accidents at home. Here is a link on how to get started on crate training: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1129. Realizing that Maiya probably has a negative association with the crate at this time, I would start the process all over; move the crate to a different location and use the information in the link above to get her used to the crate gradually. Purchase an Adaptil plug in (http://www.adaptil.com/uk/#redirected) and use it in the room where the crate is located.2. Supervision is very important in house training; Maiya should either be in your direct view or in her crate at all times. If you see her start to circle or sniff around, take her outside right away (even if she's started to pee) and have her finish out there.3. Using potty pads or litter boxes to train dogs to eliminate inside, usually backfires in the future as some start to confuse surfaces and may eliminate in different areas, because they are taught that it's ok to eliminate inside the house.4. Continue to take Maiya outside very 45-60 minutes, have treats with you when you go and give her a treat with positive verbal reward (e.g. "good dog!") immediately after she eliminates (not when she gets into the house); then, monitor her very closely in the house for the next 15 minutes or so and if she starts showing signs of wanting to eliminate, take her back outside.5. Assuming you are able to keep up with this schedule, you should see some improvement in the next 2 weeks and it should be significant enough. Here is the additional information that should be helpful:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2421Hope this helps! Let me know if there are additional questions!
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maiya. How is everything going?

Dr. Gene