Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 8lb shih Tzu Friday she started throwing up and

Customer Question

I have a 8lb shih Tzu Friday she started throwing up and with diarrhea I brought her to the 24/7 vet clinic they gave her a shot and meds for the throwing up and diarrhea now she hardly eats and she's real picky with her food the vet gave me digestive
care I/D dog food and she just don't like it I even put white rice in it I even tried to put just rice in a plate and she eats very little maybe 1 or 2 pices of rice that's it what else can I feed her ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. There are a few things you can feed her that are easy on her digestive tract.For the protein source you can use plain cooked chicken or plain cooked turkey or plain cooked ground beef.For the carbohydrate add plain cooked rice or plain cooked pasta.Low sodium broth may be added for some flavoring.If you do not want to cook, you can buy a plain rotisserie chicken at the grocery store.You can also offer her small amounts of low fat cottage cheese mixed with rice or pasta.If she still refuses to eat, you can help keep her blood sugar up by rubbing pancake syrup, karo syrup, or honey on her gums every few hours.How does that sound?