Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I live in North Las Vegas. About 2100 feet above sea level,

Customer Question

I live in North Las Vegas. About 2100 feet above sea level, and outside temps around 112º right now. Our Vet has stated that Fleas just don't happen here in the Desert, since they just can't survive. All three of our Huskies have shown dozens of these little brown parasites on them. Eggs are dark, then white once hatched. We have had the house sprayed recently, and there was a guarantee of no infestations... We also do shut down the AC a little every month and let the house get up to the outside temp, which should kill off most Bed Bugs, and other interior parasites.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
Yes, these sound exactly like fleas. :(
So, I must advocate use of an effective once-a-month flea control product. Not all work, especially over-the-counter products. Products that do work include Advantage (or Advantix or Advantage Multi) or from your vet you could get Nexgard tablets, comfortis tablets, Bravecto tablet, Revolution or Frontline Tritak. The older versions of Frontline and their knock-off products do not work well.
I highly advocate use of an effective flea control first. There really are not any other parasites, other than ticks, that look like this and leave "black" dirt. Fleas love sandy environments.
If treatment for fleas does not and the dogs are not itchy, then it is well worth having them examined by your veterinarian, or you could take one in for a run-by (technician to scan) tomorrow just to see if this is indeed fleas, and then purchase the right effective product for your area.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Shasta. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey