Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a nine month old mini Dachshund. I'm pretty sure my

Customer Question

I have a nine month old mini Dachshund. I'm pretty sure my neighbors dog got in my yard and I do believe she is pregnant. Very worried about her it was her first heat. I want to ask if I can do anything I can do to try and make it easier on her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and would like to help.
First, make sure that she is pregnant by taking her to your vet for an exam. Often with the first heat, she may not take. If she is pregnant, after 30 days, start her on Puppy food to give her extra calcium and Phosphorus that she needs for bones and milk. Even with a larger male, there may not be any problem with delivery but you should watch her. When she starts the process, if she is pushing more than 1 hr NON STOP with no results, the puppy may be too big and you will require veterinary assistance. This LINK will explain in more detail:
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/keeping-your-dog-healthy/reproduction-breeding/normal-labor-and-delivery-in-the-dog
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am happy to help. My goal is 100% satisfaction and if you are not satisfied, REPLY and I am happy to clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** it does make sense to me.
You are very welcome!!
Have a wonderful day!!
Hi Ray,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Little Girl. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta