brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

My 14 year old lab has big white scaly clumps that looks like

Customer Question

My 14 year old lab has big white scaly clumps that looks like huge dandruff. Thought at first he got sunburned (we shave him in the summer) but it has not gone away and on closer inspection looks gooey and clumpy underneath. What is it and what do we do? He seems healthy otherwise. Eating fine, etc.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today. From your description, this sounds like a skin infection. Has he been swimming lately? Are these areas itchy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He went in the lake a few weeks ago, but the flaky skin stuff only started up a couple of weeks ago. It does not appear to be itchy as he is not scratching it.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
It does sound like pyoderma, and this could be related to swimming in the lake. I recommend having him checked by your local vet. I suspect that he will need oral antibiotics for about 2 weeks to resolve this. In the meantime, you can bathe him with a soothing shampoo (a medicated shampoo would be best, ***** ***** one with chlorhexidine). After that dry him thoroughly to make sure he doesn't remain moist - that can contribute to pyoderma. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
How is Max's skin doing now?