Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was dx with an upper respiratory infection but since

Customer Question

My dog was dx with an upper respiratory infection but since Friday the coughing seems worse. He is on antibiotics but can I give him any type of cough syrup?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now I am glad to hear that Bandit is on antibiotics but just like us tickly coughs can be a big bother. Therefore, you can supplement his treatment with some throat soothing syrup. Now we cannot use just any human cough syrups but I would note that we do have a few options. First, you can give him a few milliliters of plain honey or honey/glycerin cough syrup (with no drugs). Both are safe to use as needed.
Otherwise, another option is Robitussin DM. Of course, if using this do make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it contains Guaifenesin, that is ok. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. And this too with soothe his throat while his antibiotics and immune system fight this infection.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Carol,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bandit. How is everything going?

nekovet