Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dogs rear around tail and down she is in a lot of pain and

Customer Question

my dogs rear around tail and down she is in a lot of pain and shaking noticed it yesterday thought my daughter might have yanked her tail but she keeps licking at it and wont let me look.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about your dog hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
I do have a few questions to ask first, if you don't mind:
1. How old is she?
2. Is she still acting uncomfortable?
3. Is she currently taking any medication?
4. How much does she weigh?
Since it looks as if you are currently offline, there may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer some part of every day.
Thanks for your patience. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
11/2 age no meds as of this morning her anis is red and swollen and very little poop on morning potty thinking glands? And can she make it till Monday no vets in town available she weigh maybe 9lbs
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information although I'm sorry that she's still not feeling well.
An anal gland issue such as an abscess or impaction was the first thing that came to mind when I read your question so great minds must think alike, I guess.
And, as you probably know, this particular problem is much more commonly seen in the smaller dogs although really any sized dog can develop them.
If she'll let you without getting bit, I'd apply a warm compress to the area. Alternatively, since she's so little, you could sit her in a sink with warm water and Epsom Salts which may soothe the area. Then dry her off and apply over the counter antibiotic ointment to the area, if you can.
It might help to wrap her head/body in a towel so that just her rear is available for you to evaluate and treat (again, if she'll let you).
Since she's not currently taking any medication and if she's not vomiting, then she could be given 81 mg (low dose) aspirin twice a day with food to avoid stomach upset. This drug not only has anti-inflammatory but anti- pain properties as well which may provide relief.
Other possibilities include a hot spot which means she excessively licked her skin until it's raw or possibly trauma to the tail. All of the suggestions I made above would still be of help if something else is going on.
I wouldn't necessarily consider this to be an ER type of situation although I'm certain that she's uncomfortable. Waiting until tomorrow to have her seen should be fine.
I hope this helps and that she's feeling better soon. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your dog. How is she doing? Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb