Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a four month old Dalmatian that appears to have a bladder

Customer Question

I have a four month old Dalmatian that appears to have a bladder problem. She has tried to go potty several times but only a small amount of urine or no urine. Is there any thing that will help for tonight?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Dani is straining to urinate small amounts frequently.With her symptoms I would be most suspicious of a urinary tract infection. Being young with an immature immune system and female with a short urethra this would be the most likely possibility. She needs to see her veterinarian for an examination and to check a urinalysis. All you can do for her at home is encourage fluid intake to flush out her urinary tract. Add water or low salt beef or chicken broth to her food or feed her canned food to encourage eating and increase her fluid intake.Give her ice cubes. Offer her fresh water frequently.And make sure she gets out frequently to urinate. If she is straining but unable to pass urine, and is vomiting, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense, painful abdomen with gentle pressure, or her gums become very pale it is time for emergency veterinary care. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I just wanted to make sure that you received my response and did not have any further questions. If you have questions feel free to respond or if you are all set please remember to rate my response so that I receive credit for my work, thank you, ***** *****