helperDVM
helperDVM, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal and exotics veterinarian.
76789122

My dog swallowed a 20 mg of lisinopril. Is she in danger.

Customer Question

my dog swallowed a 20 mg of lisinopril. Is she in danger.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How much does she weigh?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, I am going to opt out so another expert can help you if you come back. I am going offline now. I am sorry.
Dr. Peter
Expert:  helperDVM replied 1 year ago.
Yes but it does also depend on how big your pet is. Typically when a pet eats a blood pressure medication the best course of action is to try to get them to vomit if its been an hour or two. Since it's been longer I would highly suggest taking her in for blood pressure evaluation if she seems overly tired or weak. Since it is medication that we use in veterinary medicine it's not "poisonous" per se 0.5 mg/kg PO 1-2 times daily is the dose in dogs so if your dog is over about 40 pounds you may not see an effect at all. If your dog is very small take it in so that the vet can help keep the blood pressure up while the medication is metabolized.