Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a Norwich Terrier, 2 years old. Have nonly had her for

Customer Question

I have a Norwich Terrier, 2 years old. Have nonly had her for 6 weeks. Today, when I came home from the store, she was agitated, pacing, panting and does not want to lay down. She is sitting pretty upright, and occasionally rocks back and forth. What do you think is going on.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Such behavior and particularly her rocking back and forth suggests either ictal (seizure) or post-ictal (post-seizure) behavior. It should have abated quickly and Prise would then have slept. Seizure activity at her age is usually diagnosed as idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. You needn't have her see a vet at this time but another seizure within 24 hours of the first is worrisome. This is called clustering and can presage status epilepticus (the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate until my patient is either heavily sedated or anesthetized). Those patients should see a vet at your earliest convenience. The above is necessarily conjecture because neither of us were present when her behavior began and so I can only ask that you watch her carefully for further episodes of such behavior. Please mark your calendar for today's episode. Her vet will need all the information you can garner in order to know how best to proceed with Prise. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.