Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My husband just gave our english bulldog an aleve. I told

Customer Question

my husband just gave our english bulldog an aleve. I told him that was a toxic pill to a dog. what do I need to do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How much does your dog weigh? 2- How since he gave the pill? 3- How many milligrams was the Aleve? 4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

35 lbs.

20 minutes

Yes . I just gave her 3 tsp of 3 percent peroxide. Outside with her now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

35 lbs.

20 minutes

Yes . I just gave her 3 tsp of 3 percent peroxide. Outside with her now. f

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- How many milligrams was the Aleve (I need to calculate the toxic dose)? 2- Did she vomit with the peroxide? 3- Did you give the 3 tsp at once?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

220 mg

No vomiting

Gave her peroxide about 5 minutes ago

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

220 mg

no vomiting

3 tsp at once - yes

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, as you already know aleve is very bad for dogs. Doses as small as 5mg/kg can cause gastrointestinal ulceration. Doses above 25mg/kg we see renal failure. The dose your husband gave based on her weight comes out to 12.5mg/kg; at this dose she may develop gastrointestinal ulceration. This is what you can do: 1- If she did not vomit with the first 3 tsp of peroxide within 5-10 minutes, repeat 1 tablespoon of peroxide. 2- If she does not vomit after the second dose of peroxide I would have her checked by ER veterinarian and they can induce vomiting with apomorphine. 3- If you do not have access to ER veterinarian start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for 1 week. Do Not give things like pepto bismol. 4- Follow up with family veterinarian. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Susan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter