Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

One of my dogs grabbed a bag of cut up onion and peppers from

Customer Question

One of my dogs grabbed a bag of cut up onion and peppers from my sink. (I had put it in there because the peppers were starting to get slimy.) Be tween the four of them they ate about half of a small onion. Not sure, who ate what.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi!Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and will be happy to help.How big are your dogs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hound 84 pounds. Shibas about 23 pounds. Pomeranian 16 pounds. It was about 1/4 of a small onion total. Not sure who ate what.
Thanks for replying. We are probably fine, but let's assume your 16 pound dog ate all of the onion. How much would you say that 1/4 of this small onion weighed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 ounces tops
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
So 56.7 grams of onion. The toxic dose of onions is 5grams/ kg body weight. Your 16 pound dog is 7.27 kg so if he ate all of the onion then 56.7 grams of onion would be toxic for him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I do?
If the ingestion was within the last hour, then you can make him vomit with hydrogen peroxide. The dose for him is 2 tsp.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was. Should I also give it to the others?
Let me do some calculations for your 23 pound dog. Actually, please give your 16 pounder 3 tsp.Be right back!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Your 23 pounder is right on the border for toxicity, so it would be safest to give him some hydrogen peroxide also. His dose is 1.5 tablespoon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
If they haven't vomited in 10 minutes you can repeat the hydrogen peroxide one time.
Onions cause an oxidative damage to the red blood cells. These cells are either broken apart or removed from circulation. The result can be anemia. A one time toxic dose of onions probably won't lead to enough anemia to be a problem. Let's see what they bring up!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One Shiba threw up twice after 5 ml. No onion. Pomeranian hasn't thrown up. Still trying to get it into the other Shiba
23 pounds of dog would get 1.5 tablespoons or 17ml.
. . .at least. It's actually 22.5ml. However, sounds like 5 ml did the trick!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both Shibas threw up. No signs of onion. Gave a second dose to the Pomeranian. Still waiting.
Did you give him 3 tsp. each time?
Did you give him 3 tsp. each time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Pomeranian just grabbed bread from Shiba with 45 ml!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mustn't have been the full 45 because the Shipping a threw up three times.
Any onions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not in Shibas. Pomeranian still hasn't thrown up. Do I need to worry now because she's probably had 60-70ml of hydrogen peroxide?
I think the Pom should be fine, but let me research that a little. Be back shortly.
OK. . .relatively non toxic. The only problem is GI irritation. . .nausea and diarrhea. No other problems.
So. . .let the GI irritation begin!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think her stomach is made out of cast iron. Thank you sooo much!
You are very welcome! If you can't/haven't gotten her to vomit yet, and it is still under an hour, then your vet would use another method to induce vomiting called apomorphine. If you choose to not do any more, I'm sure your Pom is safe, but I would check her red blood cell count tomorrow or Monday to make sure that all is OK. If you want to avoid the vet tomorrow (emergency fees), then look at her gum color tonight under a lamp of your choice, and check her tomorrow a few times (under the same lamp) to make sure she is not getting much less pink.Onion oxidation is temporary.