Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a 3 and a half month old french bulldog...I

Customer Question

Hello...I have a 3 and a half month old french bulldog...I have been very worried and concerned abt his biting habits...as he's growing his biting us and kids are growing also...I'm worried Bcoz I have kids at home...will this go as he grows older or will it be getting worse...wi was told french Bulldogs are loving and friendly with kids but my pet is very snappy and bites to bleed....how can I help this
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about MJ. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. He will not just outgrow biting you and the kids. However, he is young, so if you get help training him now, you can train him not to bite, and to have "bite inhibition". Bite inhibition is something all puppies need to learn when young and growing, before they are 10 to 12 months old. Since dogs do not have hands, and have to use their mouths for everything, they have to learn when to bite hard, or soft, or not at all. Since he is not getting better, and has bitten to bleeding, I would start working with a trainer, or a veterinarian who specializes in behavior problems, as soon as possible.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Frenchies do tend to be loving and gentle, but all dogs are unique individuals. I normally trust all Labs and Goldens, but have seen vicious ones. I tend not to trust Rottweilers, but have met Rotties I would trust totally not to bite.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You may have to train him with a muzzle, so he can't bite while learning his commands.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dipti,

I'm just following up on our conversation about M.J. (Maxi Junior). How is everything going?