Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog got a few small cuts around his neck from a wire fence.

Customer Question

My dog got a few small cuts around his neck from a wire fence. The cuts are infected. Can I give him human amoxicillin until I can get him to his veterinarian on Monday?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! So sorry to hear your dog has these wounds! I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but I still advise a veterinary exam as soon as you are ableFor information on amoxicillin dosage (based on size) CLICK HERE which states "The typical dose of amoxicillin ranges from 5 to 12 mg per pound (10 to 25 mg/kg), two or three times a day." Additionally: 1.) No licking! If this area is reachable then please put a t-shirt on or a cone to prevent him from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection2.) Trim the hair around the wounds3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess6.) Limit activity. The more activity the more likely this wound will take longer to heal because the skin cannot heal in an active setting, particularly on the side. Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!