Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our dog -- 4 months -- chewed a leather-dye swab, and her mouth

Customer Question

Our dog -- 4 months -- chewed a leather-dye swab, and her mouth is red on the inside (color of dye) we've tried rinsing her mouth and wiping all excess. Much of the color is now gone. Is she safe?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Zia. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. My dog's sister is named Zia! Do you know what the dye was, the ingredients? Or the name of the dye so I can look up the ingredients?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If you have gotten most of the color off, and she is acting alright, she will probably be fine, but if you can tell me the dye I can look to see if there are any toxic ingredients.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fiebing's leather dye, red. Thanks!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Give me a moment to do some research, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You replied
Saturday, June 27, 2015 7:23 PM EST
Fiebing's leather dye, red. Thanks!
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/dog-health/9629l-dog-months-chewed-leather-dye-swab-mouth.html?rpt=901#ixzz3eJAD1gbO
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I looked on VIN, a website for veterinarians only, and found nothing about this being toxic. I looked online, and found that the main concern is getting it in the eyes. If swallowed, vomiting should not be induced. I can't find anything that indicates she is in danger. I would let her eat and drink like normal, and watch for vomiting or diarrhea.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Since my research is showing no cases of illness in dogs with this dye, and you have gotten most of it off, I would just watch her, if she were mine.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi K,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zia. How is everything going?