Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 14 lb terrier mix loves to have her belly rubbed and I think

Customer Question

My 14 lb terrier mix loves to have her belly rubbed and I think the skin has changed color from a light skin color to a dark purple-ish color. She is a rescue dog who was found wandering the streets. She has had a litter of pups because when I got her about 5 months ago, she was still lactating. Her behavior indicates to me that she had been abused and never been inside a home. She is fearful of men. The last two times she pooped, her poop was part brown and hard and the other part was a lighter color and slimy resembling a slug
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help you and Cocoa today. Sounds like Cocoa has found herself a very loving "forever home", and I think this is wonderful!Skin will change color from chronic inflammation. Do you think Cocoa is itchy and that is why she loves to have her belly rubbed?Regarding the stool, the slimy part means there is mucus in her stool, and this comes from colitis (inflammation of the large bowel). Colitis is due to parasites, food sensitivities/allergies, or bacterial infection. Has Cocoa had a fecal test to look for parasitism? What food are you feeding her along with chicken?