Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have two labradors (a 4 month old and a 9 month old). On

Customer Question

I have two labradors (a 4 month old and a 9 month old). On Thursday night (sometime in the middle of the night) they knocked a a bottle of 15 tablets of 15 mg meloxicam onto the floor (along with other food items) and ate them. I have no idea which dog ate what. On Friday morning, my normal vet advised that it bad been too long to induce vomiting and that I should just monitor them. Later in the day on Friday they began vomiting. I took them to ER vet last night and they've been admitted. Xrays showed no perforations. But my bill is already several thousand (treating 2 dogs) the ER vets keep repeating how extremely toxic just one of those pills is. They want to keep treating both dogs which will continue to cost several thousand a day. I asked "in their medical opinion what are the chances of recovery?" but they refuse to answer and just say "there is a chance" they could end up ok. But I'm trying so hard to decide on spending thousands of dollars and all I want is someone's medical opinion on the chances of a positive outcome? (I know it's not for certain either way) I just want to know if I'm fighting a most likely losing battle. PLEASE help...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi!Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I will do my best to be of some help to you. I'm so sorry to hear about your problem, and certainly do understand your desire to not be paying for a losing battle. A one time overdose usually can be turned around with symptomatic support, so I would say that you have about a 70% to 80% chance of your dogs recovering.
Care Credit is available at most veterinary hospitals. This organization can get a credit approval right away (and actually most people are approved), they will pay your veterinary bill and then have you make monthly payments to them. Usually, the first 6 months are interest free.