Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 12 yr old lahsa apso (male) is urinating more frequently

Customer Question

My 12 yr old lahsa apso (male) is urinating more frequently and tends to squat rather than lift his leg. Is this anything to worry about?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!So sorry to hear your senior friend is urinating more frequently which is the primary concern. With his age and breed the primary concerns are:- Diabetes- Urinary tract infection- Bladder stones- Kidney changes- Endocrine disease such as cushing'sI would recommend having your vet evaluate a fresh urine sample (or refrigerated if more than an hour old) collected as a first morning sample Monday in a tupperware container. This can help rule out a few of the possibilities above but if it is negative then some basic bloodwork will be advised to rule out other issues such as the Cushing's disease.Once a diagnosis or cause is confirmed then appropriate therapy can be initiated to hopefully minimize his signs and prevent progression as wellI hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!