Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Dog has had bad gas days now is unusual im away from home th

Customer Question

dog has had bad gas for coupe days now is unusual im away from home the girlfriend says shes had smelly gas for a couple days now shes not normally a gassy dog ..5 yr old redbone coon hound no change in diet blue buffalo weight control formula
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup has had bad gas.How is she feeling otherwise? Any nausea or vomiting or loose stools?Gas is usually related to diet and the bacteria that live in the pup's gastrointestinal tract.Most of the time it is triggered by eating something they should not, and sometimes dogs find something outdoors we aren't aware of.In some cases though it is indicative of more serious problems like internal organ disease, as changes in organ function change waste products in the gastrointestinal tract and the bacteria that live there.If she seems to feel fine otherwise a bland diet for a few days and adding probiotics may be all that is needed to get her back on track. But if she is feeling unwell other wise then she may need hands on veterinary care.In the meantime it may help to food fast her for 12 hours to stop gut spasms and then offer a bland diet mix of 2/3 boiled, minced, white, skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled, plain, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow as well as increase her fluid intake. Probiotics such as Fortiflora, Proviable, or Benebac can help replace appropriate bacteria. You can add those to the bland diet mix.If the problem resolves feed her the bland diet mix for 2-3 days then gradually reintroduce her normal diet, mixing more regular in and less bland at each meal over the 5-7 days.Please let me know if you have any further questions.