Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Red setter male 5 first day not eating or drinking. Has been

Customer Question

Red setter male 5 first day not eating or drinking. Has been sick. Ran this morning as usual now lethargic
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Fluke is not eating or drinking after a run this morning and is refusing to walk this evening.Has it been very warm where you are?Did he seem normal on his run this morning? Extra fatigued or panting heavily afterwards?Have you taken his temperature rectally? Normal rectal temperature for dogs is 100F to 103F, If he is 103.5F or higher then he is running a fever or is suffering from overheating?Does he seem stiff or reluctant to move?What color are his gums and tongue?If you press on his gums do they whiten and then return to pink in less than 2 seconds?Do his gums feel sticky or smooth?Any vomiting or diarrhea? If yes what did they look like?If you press on his abdomen gently, one hand on each side, is it tense and painful?I know these are a lot of questions, but they will help me guide you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been warm for several days. He was fatigued. I have novthermometer. He is reluctant to move. His tongue is dry and pale pink. His gums are pink and black. The gum doesnt whiten. His gums are sticky and dry. He has vomited slightly digested food. He was previously constipated. His abdomen does not feel tense it does not appear to be painful
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much for your response.I am very concerned that he became over-heated this morning on his run and he is suffering from heat stroke.The cascade of events that spring from that include muscle damage and release of toxins and waste products from the damaged muscle tissue (thus muscle soreness), dehydration (sticky,dry gums), poor tissue perfusion, nausea and vomiting and in some cases secondary organ damage and failure and possible clotting disorders due to systemic inflammation.I don't think that this is something that you can attempt to treat at home, especially given that he has vomited and is refusing to eat and drink. If he were my patient I would want him hospitalized on intravenous fluids and checking him frequently for organ failure and clotting issues. They can also give injections to ease his nausea and muscle aches.I like to give owners options for home treatment if possible, but in this case I don't think that would be possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He ran around 0630 this. I run at about 12 min miling in woods. It was cool and overcast. Not seeking to disagree but it was around 12 centigrade.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I had a different picture. That is not warm enough that my first thought would be heat stroke then.Does he run off leash that he could have eaten something?Mushroom toxicity also comes to mind with his symptoms. How soon after you ran did he get sick?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
If you don't have access to emergency care or are reluctant to take him at this point we can try some things at home but he may need to see a veterinarian if he isn't coming along well over the next 24 hours.
To try and settle his stomach now you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight
every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight
every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation from eating something nontoxic that he should not have.
I would not feed him any food for 12 hours even after the acid reducers are started.
This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility.
Starting a couple hours after the acid reducers offer small amounts of water, or clear broth like low salt chicken or beef broth, or ice cubes frequently he needs fluids.
You can give him pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make his intestinal irritation worse.
If things are going well after his food fast and the acid reducers start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day.
Once he feels better (no vomiting for 48 to 72 hours and eating well) start mixing in his regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back.
If Fluke is continuing to vomit and is feeling poorly though, especially if he continues to refuse to drink, it would be best that he see a veterinarian now as anything you give him orally will just come back up worsening his dehydration.
Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know should you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robin,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Fluke. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara