Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

This morning I noticed my English Springer Spaniles right eye

Customer Question

This morning I noticed my English Springer Spaniles right eye looks like its rolling back in his head as nd appears droopy. He normally hss a mild droopy eye. He seems normal chasing birds running around he's not bothering with it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
You appear to be describing Horner's syndrome in his eye. This describes a loss of sympathetic nerve innervation to the eye. Symptoms of Horner's may include ptosis (a dropped upper eyelid), protrusion of the third eyelid (which makes it look like his eye is rolling back into his head), miosis (a smaller than usual pupil), enophthalmos (the eye sits farther back in the socket), and absence of a blink reflex. Risk factors for Horner's include blunt trauma, cervical/thoracic spinal cord damage, intracranial neoplasia (cancer), middle ear inflammation (otitis media) and retrobulbar (around the globe of the eye) inflammation or mass. If his middle ear is the source, a head tilt or nystagmus (eyes flicking back and forth) may be seen. His vet will need to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam in an attempt to clarify the source of Horner's which would then dictate how to best address it. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would he seem fine no other symptoms other than the eye
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it come on suddenly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also it's the lower lid drooping
Yes, symptoms of Horner's can be peracute (sudden) and only involve the eye; for example, he could have whacked himself in the head, neck, or chest - anywhere where the sympathetic nerve chain runs through his upper body. We expect remission as soon as the inflammation resulting from such trauma abates. Yes, either lid - or both - can droop. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am scared will he be ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I do anything for him or wait
Most likely, yes, because simple trauma is the most common cause of Horner's. It would be prudent to have his vet take a look at him at your earliest convenience. If you notice that his eye isn't blinking, you'll need to begin instilling an artificial tear every few hours into that eye. You can find artificial tears in your local pharmacy. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My vet is closed until Monday if I see him getting worse I can rush him to the emergency vet if that's what I should do I would like to wait for his vet do you think that would be OK under current conditions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also is there anything I can give him to help ease the inflammation
Horner's rarely describes an emergency. Please note that you appeared to describe Horner's. That might not be the case, however. Perhaps the eye was simply traumatized in which case it should still be seen at your earliest convenience because eyes can "go south" in a hurry. A visit to the ER isn't unreasonable if only to give you peace of mind.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had a scratched cornea and debri in his eye
Thank you for taking the time to let me know. Simple trauma, then, with every expectation to remiss within the week. Having him attended to promptly was smart and avoided serious sequela.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Laurie Santerre. How is everything going?