Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a Bouiver de Flanders. The first year of his life he

Customer Question

I have a Bouiver de Flanders. The first year of his life he had blue skin on his belly and looking under all that fur on his back it was blue there too. Just not as blue. I've talked to many people and no one can give me any answers. He's 4 yrs old now & extremely healthy. I just would love to know about the blue belly skin. Please help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This answer box says cat veterinarian. I need a dog vet.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.The color of a dog's skin can reflect the color of their coat.It is not unusual for dog's with black fur to have bluish or gray colored skin. It is simply due to increased pigment from cells called melanocytes. If your fellow were very itchy and licking and scratching this area quite a bit and there was hair loss and thickening of the skin the coloring could be secondary to irritation and inflammation. But if he isn't itchy, there is no hair loss or thickening of his skin and he just has blue gray pigmentation on his skin then this may simply be normal pigmented skin coloring. No treatment is needed and these are of no concern. We often see it more on areas of the skin that have less fur naturally, like the abdomen.Some dogs that are spotted in color can have areas of pink or white skin and blue/black splotches.See this link for an example:http://www.webanswers.com/post-images/A/A2/66187662-101D-B13D-FF34126A1986E484.jpgOthers that have a more consistent pigmentation will have a more even blue/gray appearance. See this link:http://i44.tinypic.com/2w6ccg4.jpgIf your pup isn't itchy and has a normal coat and skin otherwise I would not be concerned.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I just wanted to check and make sure that you don't have any further questions. If you do have further questions feel free to respond and I can address them. If you are all set please remember to rate my response so I receive credit for my work, thank you, ***** *****