Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My year old male maltese-shih-tuz keeps eating his poop why

Customer Question

my year old male maltese-shih-tuz keeps eating his poop why and what do I do to stop it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Rylee. I'm sorry he's doing this and understand your concern. No one likes it when their dog does this. Please let me start by saying even though we people tend to think this is disgusting, it's totally normal dog behavior. Dogs who eat poop do it just because it's available and it's yummy. As long as your dog is on a high-quality dog food and is on a good parasite prevention program, you don't have to worry that his poop eating means there's something wrong or lacking in his diet. Rest assured this is normal behavior. That being said, it's still worth the effort to put a stop to it. There are several products on the market that are made to be added to the food to make the feces "less appealing". Here is where you can buy the most popular one... http://www.amazon.com/ForBid-Stop-Stool-Eating-pkg/dp/B000RI63N8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435413527&sr=8-1&keywords=for+bid The theory is that by adding this product to the food, you can break the habit. I wish I had better news for you, but most of the people and pets I take care of have had minimal luck trying to use products like this. It won't hurt to try, but the only 100% certain way to make sure Rylee doesn't eat poop is to make sure he never has access to it. I knew one dog owner who practically had to race his dog to the pile - he'd try to turn around and eat it as soon as it fell to the ground - but that's the only way to completely put a stop to it.Perhaps in Rylee's situation you'll have better luck with using For-Bid.I hope this information helps.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please rest assured I am here to help.You may still reply when you return online. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to see if you have any additional questions after reading the information I've provided above. Please let me know what else I can do in order to answer your question to your satisfaction. My goal is to be as helpful as positive in helping you understand why Rylee does this and what you can do to prevent it.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rylee. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo