Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is 17 years old. She was spade years ago. She is barking const

Customer Question

My dog is 17 years old. She was spade years ago. She is barking constantly, wincing in pain and shaking. I think she also has a brownish discharge. Her stomach is gurgling. She also threw up her food. She won't stop crying/barking. She is very thirsty. What can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just found a white worm come out with her poop. She is laying on wee wee pads since she cannot walk since she is old and she has had a neck injury since she was 4 and had emergency surgery to fix a burst disc.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Any dog so profoundly affected can't be managed at home and needs to see its vet at your earliest convenience - particularly a polydipsic (increased thirst) 17 year old who doesn't have the reserve of a much younger dog. Polydipsia is a warning sign for chronic renal and hepatic insufficiency, diabetes mellitus, urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, and a host of other life-threatening disorders. I believe that the worm is the least of Velvet's problems at this time. Her vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. You'll then know in a matter of hours if Velvet can be helped. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish but I'd rather you were on your way to the vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Velvet. How is everything going?