Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

How 65 pound pit has swelling in her face and some in

Customer Question

How 65 pound pit bull has swelling in her face and some in her throat but not enough to interfered with her breathing. We live in a rural area and the nearest pet hospital is an hour away. I have given her (3) 25 mgm Benadryl tabs and am monitoring her swelling which seems to be going down a bit. She is up and moving around but is acting nervous. I have po Prednisone 10 mgm here at home and Rimadyl. Would it be safe to give her either of these?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologise that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
How is she now?
Have we seen any reduction in swelling with the Benadryl?
Just so we can choose the best option, do you think this is an allergic swelling (ie bee/spider/wasp sting) or a trauma (ie hit her head, etc)?
What color are gums?
What is her breathing rate (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?