Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My lab got into his bin off dog food and ate an unknown amount.

Customer Question

My lab got into his bin off dog food and ate an unknown amount. His stomach is extended, he just had a small bowel movement and seems to be resting without much discomfort. Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. This is a situation that at this time seems to not be a critical one. If he's resting and not having any discomfort, then it would seem that he fits the description of a food bloat. Basically they eat a lot of food and get a big belly that in theory could just be digested and passed normally. What is critical to look for though is if things change. If he starts to try to vomit and nothing comes up or he gets uncomfortable - then the situation may have changed to a twisting of the stomach. If this happens, it is an extremely critical situation and he needs to be seen by an ER clinic ASAP. At this point if it is just food bloat, then I typically just let them digest and pass the ingesta as normal. I don't like to try and induce vomiting as sometimes it isn't that productive. Here is a good link on the stomach twist for your information.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=672