Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My boxer is having her first litter and shes on her 3rd baby

Customer Question

my boxer is having her first litter and shes on her 3rd baby only thing is that she is tired of pushing and theres only a bag hanging out of the vagina
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please advise
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I understand that you are concerned about your girl and her labor and delivery process.Do you know how many puppies she has to deliver?Were the first two puppies delivered quickly and without fuss or trouble?How long have the fetal membranes (bag) been present with no puppy being delivered?Is she actively straining and pushing still, or has she seemed to give up?How long has it been since she delivered the last puppy?There shouldn't be more that an hour between puppies and if you see any fetal membranes or a body part protruding the pup should be delivered within 30 minutes, if not that signifies trouble. The problem can be a puppy that is too large to pass through the pelvic canal, improper presentation of the puppy or uterine inertia (poor muscle tone and contractions). Given that no progress is occurring I am very concerned about her as well as the health of her litter.I highly recommend she be seen by a veterinarian now on an emergency basis.It is possible that she has a large or malpositioned puppy stuck in her birth canal. Boxers have very large heads for their size and thus can experience trouble with labor and delivery more than other breeds.It is also possible that she just needs an oxytocin injection or calcium because of uterine stasis.Whatever is causing her dystocia (difficult delivery) this is not something to be treated at home.The longer you wait the higher the chance that she or her puppies may not make it through this.If you don't know of an emergency clinic in your area here is a link to help you find one:http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193And here is another link, just make sure to check the box that says this is an emergency: http://www.myveterinarian.com/avma/vclPublic/# ***** you have any further questions for me?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara