Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog's under his tail bleeds after every time he goes

Customer Question

my dog's butt under his tail bleeds after every time he goes to the groomer. He continues to lick it but no blood is visible since. Is this an anal gland problem?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Pepe. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Does your groomer empty his anal glands? If so, that might be the reason for the bleeding. If this only happens when he goes to the groomer, I would ask them to not empty the glands. Healthy glands do not always have to be emptied, only if they are impacted or infected.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I did read your question! You said that his butt under his tail bleeds after every time he goes to the groomer, and that after he licks it, no blood is visible since.
If your groomer empties his anal glands, that could cause the bleeding. I believe in leaving anal glands alone, if they are normal, and only emptying them if they are infected or impacted.
If his glands are infected, he might need antibiotics.
If the bleeding is coming from his rectum and not his glands, he may have "colitis", inflammation of the colon. Your veterinarian can check his rectum and glands to see where the blood is coming from.
If this happens only when he goes to the groomer, and every time he goes to the groomer, I might ask the groomer to not empty the glands. If he still is having problems with the bleeding or licking, I would have your vet check him for infection or impaction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay...........this web site has a lot to be desired!!!!! I haven't asked my groomer if she empties his anal glands...she says he might have hemorrhoids or some other problems but I haven't noticed any thing else unusual with him. He has good bowel movements and good appetite. I'll have my vet check him out at our next check up.....thanks.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Dogs do not get hemorrhoids! Hemorrhoids are a dilation in a vein inside the rectum, and dogs do not have this vein. Hemorrhoids are a human, but not a dog, problem.
So the blood you see must come from the anal glands, or the rectum itself. Having your vet check the glands, and his rectum/colon, is the best place to start.
Sorry if you are not happy with the website; I just answer questions for them. Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pepe. How is everything going?