Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 11 year old choc lab as starting biting people, more frequently

Customer Question

My 11 year old choc lab as starting biting people, more frequently this past year...
today he bit our neighbors daughter (fortunately only two small puncture wounds), a 7 year old he knows well and has played with many times in the past. Unfortunately we just don't trust him anymore and are afraid he is going to really hurt someone.
We will miss him but in our mind he needs to be put down. Do I just take him to our vet or do we go for a one way walk into the woods?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am so sorry to hear about your dog. My condolences, this must be a hard decision. I have been a veterinarian for over 30 years, and will do my best to help. I feel so bad you are contemplating putting him to sleep, but I agree if a dog is biting, that has to be considered. In most states, you do have to wait for 10 days, after he bit your neighbor's daughter, because of rabies. Even if he has been vaccinated, most states require a 10 day quarantine if he bit someone and broke the skin. After the 10 days, taking him to your vet for euthanasia is a reasonable, but difficult choice. Sorry to be dense, but I am not sure what you mean by a one way walk?