Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

How long should it take to stop or improve after: 06/24/15:

Customer Question

How long should it take for diarrhea to stop or improve after:
06/24/15: two meals boiled chicken & rice, AM & PM
06/25/15: 1 injection each for diatro and flagyl
food withheld 24 hrs
06/26/15: one dose liquid flagyl in AM, one dose diatro in AM
one small meal boiled chicken & rice in AM
one small meal boiled chicken & rice mid-day
episode of runny diarrhea around 3:00PM
one dose diatro at 5:00 PM
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
Thank you for all the details. Very helpful. Flagyl (metronidazole) is a very nice medication to stop diarrhea and usually, if properly dosed, then we see improvement within 3 to 4 doses. When there isn't improvement, then this is when we need to reassess our diagnosis, which usually means the need for testing to get a diagnosis. When there is no response to Flagyl, then this makes it more suspicious there is a foreign object moving through the system or a problem with the intestines that is non-responsive to flagyl (such as a tumor or odd parasite or other infiltrative disease or unusual endocrine disease).
With two dogs with symptoms this becomes suspicious to be something they were both exposed to like a parasite or poison or plant or mushroom ingestion.
If she was my patient, I would recommend have her rechecked tomorrow. If no testing was done originally, then it is time for her to have a stool check with Giardia screening (we do sometimes see Giardia resistant to flagyl), lab work (CBC, chemistry profile, urine check -- this will screen the organs, look for toxicities and get an initial idea of endocrine diseases), and probably X-rays to screen for foreign object or obvious cancer. With that information we can start to rule things out and perhaps find a diagnosis.
IN the meantime, please do not fast her. Continue the bland diet and her medications. There are not any better over-the-counter products I can recommend, although I do highly advocate a probiotic for her. If she is not on one you can use one of the ones made for dogs (Proviable or Fortiflora) which you get from your vet or you can use a high quality one made for people.
submit a rating as you exit our chat.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lois,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey