Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We have 6m old dog. He chewed up a chain of chain saw oil About

Customer Question

We have 6m old dog. He chewed up a chain of chain saw oil About 3 hours ago. Not sure how much oil he got. We feed him dinner and he throw it Up. What should we do. He acts fine and keeps try to get food.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- He did not swallow the chain only the oil, correct? 2- How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are not sure how much he shallower or not But we think he did shallow some. He is around 50 pounds
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, petroleum based oil generally only cause vomiting and diarrhea. The other concern is if they vomit and inhale the oil into the lungs, this can cause inflammation in the lungs. This is what you can do: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 3-5 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- If he continues to vomit after doing the abovehe will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If you notice any lethargy, difficulty breathing, coughing, etc. have him checked by ER veterinarian. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter