How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 9422
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 1 year old pug dog 19 lbs ate a cracker of my neighbors

Customer Question

My 1 year old pug dog 19 lbs ate a cracker of my neighbors about an hour ago that contained graham cracker, nutella and marijuana. I am scared I don't know how much of any of the ingredients there were
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
I can understand your concern for your dog but ingestion of this combination of nutella and marijuana may not be quite as bad as you might think. Since it's been over an hour, there's not advantage to causing him to vomit at this point, unfortunately.
There's not likely to be enough chocolate in the Nutella he ingested (which is likely a fairly small amount) for concern about chocolate toxicity. He might develop diarrhea in a few hours but that's about all.
As to the marijuana, much depends on the concentration and amount as to whether or not you might see symptoms.
Unfortunately there are no specific antidotes that can be given to reverse the effect of marijuana if a sufficient amount was ingested to cause signs. It takes about 1.5 grams of marijuana per pound of body weight to be fatal so toxic doses aren't usually something we have to worry about.
If signs are going to be seen, they usually start to appear 3 hours after ingestion; they include incoordination and stumbling. Many become quite lethargic while others may experience hallucinations. Heart rates can go down and pupils can become dilated.
Some dogs will vomit on their own and if the patient is also quite lethargic, then they could aspirate this vomit and pneumonia may develop (which could be quite serious).
Some dogs actually need to be hospitalized if the signs are severe enough but most dogs will recover within 24 hours if a small amount was ingested.
You basically have to wait it out and make sure that he doesn't hurt himself and is safe until the drug leaves his body.
I hope this helps although again, my profuse apologies for the delayed response since I know you're probably quite panicked about him. Deb

Related Dog Veterinary Questions