Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

There my dog woke me up licking his foot and his foot was twitching

Customer Question

Hi there my dog woke me up licking his foot and his foot was twitching now it woke stop twitching I don't know what to do I've ckeaned the foot with salt water what can I do? There's no vets open
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian, and hope to help you and Titchi today.When you cleaned Titchi's foot did you find and redness or sores on his paw? Is Titchi able to get up and walk? Are any other parts of his body affected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi there yes hre is able to walk ive cleaned the foot its not hot and no its just his back leg and paw
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and by hot i mean it doesnt feel like theres been a bite or anything
Thanks for your reply. Is the color of his affected paw the same as his other paws? Please look at his pads or the bare skin between the toes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no theres no bare skin and the color is still the same as the other paws
Well good. Sounds like his circulation is normal. The twitching indicates either local pain of some kind of his lower limb, or some seizure activity, or a spinal cord lesion affecting only the side of his twitching paw.Is that paw still twitching? Does he still want to lick it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not all the time is happens in like waves for lack of better description
Has Titchi been acting well otherwise. . .eating and drinking normally, urinating and defecating normally?
I'm asking, because Benadryl may be of some help for tonight, but I want to make sure he is a good candidate for this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes hes been fine he woke me up like this it came out of nowhere
Then I do recommend your using some Benadryl. A dog's dose is 2.2mg/kg but you could go up to 4.4 mg/kg. . . it's quite safe. How much does Titchi weigh? Do you have some Benadryl?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i dont but the chemist will be open soon is that cough syrup? hes about 7 kg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thankyou
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hes finally sleeping normally no twitching
No, it's not cough syrup, but an antihistamine used for allergies. At 7kg his dose will be 15 to 30 mg 3 times daily. Since he is no longer twitching then you may not even need to go to the pharmacy. If this twitching occurs again, then your pharmacist will know about Benadryl (diphenhydramine). However, if this does recur, I do recommend that you have your vet examine Titchi. I also highly recommend that you take a video of his twitching so your vet could see it. This will help your vet diagnose Titchi's problem.
Hope you both get some rest still tonight!Dr. Barbara