Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My great dane puppy is running a fever second time

Customer Question

my great dane puppy is running a fever for the second time in a week
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. A fever in a giant breed puppy may not always be an infection. These dogs are prone to issues that go along with growing. There is a condition called HOD (hypertrophic osteodystrophy) that they can get. It leads to inflammation in the growth plates that will cause a fever and pain. These are treated with anti-inflammatory meds, like Rimadyl or Prednisone. To diagnose HOD, you should have your vet get x-rays of the joints- especially the carpus/ wrist joints and hock/ ankle joints. This is where HOD typically shows up. It's also helpful to rule out infections, but I think it sounds more like growing pains and joint inflammation here. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Holly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Solomon. How is everything going?