Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 16 year old dog had a cyst that was drained by the vet a

Customer Question

My 16 year old dog had a cyst that was drained by the vet a few weeks ago. The cyst burst last night and quite a bit of blood came out. I cleaned it and put neosporin on it. What else should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!Unfortunately this is very common with cysts and with repeated rupturing and possible infection often these are removed (hopefully small enough Barkley can have it done with a local anesthetic only?) I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is any discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted.1.) No licking! If this area is reachable then please put a t-shirt on or a cone to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection2.) Trim the hair around the cyst3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess or rerupture. We want this to heal from the inside out6.) Limit activity. The more activity the more likely this wound will take longer to heal because the skin cannot heal in an active setting, particularly on the side. With his age very likely he is not a very active boy at this point anyways but activity can slow healing timePlease let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Barkley. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman