Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 16 yr old dog had a cyst that was drained.Last nite the

Customer Question

My 16 yr old dog had a cyst that was drained.Last nite the cyst burst and blood came out.I cleaned it and put neosporin on it.What else should I do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.
These ruptured cysts can look pretty nasty for sure and some of them can become infected which might require more than just topical antibiotics.
But, I've been able to manage some of them with over the counter treatment options and the following is how I've done so:
1. I'm not sure what you're using to clean but I recommend dilute Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea) 2-3 times a day. Avoid peroxide since studies have shown that it actually can retard healing.
2. Continue to apply Neosporin after the betadine drys.
3. Prevent access to the area with a cone, if necessary, since excessive licking may worsen the lesion.
4. Vetericyn spray is an excellent additional wound product which can be used after the Neosporin has been applied. You can purchase this product at many pet or grain stores or on the internet.
I hope this helps and that you see improvement soon with Barkley's ruptured cyst. Deb