Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 9 year old Boxer and he has a golf ball in diameter

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old Boxer and he has a golf ball in diameter sized lump on his hind quad. It was not there last night, just noticed it this morning. Could this be a tumor that popped up this quickly, or most likely a bug bite? It isn't oozing or anything. It's semi hardish, but is easily moveable so I know it's not attached to him, it's in his skin.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and hope to be of help to you and Butch today.Most cancers don't just pop up overnight, so if you are sure you didn't notice this yesterday, then I think your idea of a bug bite is very feasible. For this you can give 1mg/pound of Benedryl every 8-12 hours. If this does bring down the lump, then I'd give Butch his dose every 8 hours for 3 days.Another possibility is an abscess from a migrating foreign body. . .like a a grass awn.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's right where he's had a wart thing on his thigh forever (definitely a year or more). Don't know if that's a coincidence or could be a problem. My vet has looked at the wart previously and said it's no big deal. It hasn't changed or anything. The bump feels maybe slightly warm, although it's hard to tell. So watching him over the weekend is ok. Doesn't warrant a trip to the vet right away? I'm 30 weeks pregnant and a worry wart. Haha!
Goes with the territory! So, what is your due date? You know, being a boxer that is prone to getting cancer (boxers in general have this propensity), I do recommend that you have your vet evaluate this lump and take a fine needle aspirate. She/he could evaluate that right in the clinic under their microscope. I'm most concerned by what you have said about a cutaneous mast cell tumor. My Benadryl suggestion would take down the lump, but it's not a cure, and could make it more difficult to diagnose.