Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog just had most of his lower jaw removed so therefore he drool qu

Customer Question

My dog just had most of his lower jaw removed so therefore he drool quite a bit and it runs under his chin and is causing a sore/rash that sometimes scabs or is yellow like infection. What if anything can we do for him, he is very uncomfortable.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and will be happy to try to help you and Bleu today.If Bleu was my patient, I'd recommend a little bit different cleaning routine for him. I'd recommend cleaning the area with a benzyl peroxide shampoo, followed by a thorough rinsing and drying. Then I'd apply an ointment not a liquid drop to the area in order to protect it. Panolog makes an ointment as well as a liquid, or you could use Desitin. Mometamx may also come in an ointment or liquid form. It would be ideal to allow his neck skin some air exposure daily also. . .maybe after shampooing, rinsing, and drying, you could air the skin for 5 to 10 minutes. Of course after that he would need to be wiped off and then apply the ointment.It sounds like Bleu is in need of an oral antibiotic currently, so your vet could prescribe one. The goal is to get his neck skin back to a healthy state, and then with cleaning and protection, to maintain healthy and comfortable skin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. While waiting for your reply, I went to my vet and they gave me Neo Predef to try. Will try your suggestion as well. This is going to be an ongoing thing because the front lower jaw is gone. Thanks again.
Thanks for responding, and I do understand the daunting care you have chosen. . .and really do appreciate this!Another thought I've had is to fashion a "neck diaper" for Bleu. I've never explored this idea or heard of it, but it seems that this could be designed. Also, the surgeon that removed his lower jaw has, I'm sure, run into this problem before and may know of such a thing. This should be something that protects his neck skin, looks handsome, and can be changed daily (or twice or three times daily?).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Believe it or not, we thought the same thing. We did try sterile gauze and no stick bandage around the neck, but Bleu' said he didn't like it and rolled around until it came off! Can't say that I blame him~ just going to do the best be can and roll with it! Thanks again for your suggestions.
Have a great weekend,
Tara
Thanks Tara. Hope you all have a great weekend too!Dr. Barbara