Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 10 year old malti-poo is on one ml of hycodan every 8-12

Customer Question

My 10 year old malti-poo is on one ml of hycodan every 8-12 hours and it doesn't seem to be working! When the vet prescribed it he mentioned that my dog also is showing signs of bronchitis and the medicine would make it worse if this were to be true. I'm wondering if that's the reason it's not working?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
It is possible that of Cody has bronchitis (inflammation of his airway lining) that the Hycodan (Hydrocodone) may not really help. The reason is because it tends to dry respiratory secretions/mucus. And while this is good for minor infections with lots of discharge, it can be irritating for inflamed airways. Therefore, if he has not shown improvement, you may want to have his vet do further testing to confirm bronchitis and/or try treating him with dog safe anti-inflammatories (to reduce inflammation) and bronchodilators (to open the airway) to soothe that inflamed airway and get him more comfortable for us.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )