Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He gad an allergic reaction to a wasp stung he's got swollen bumps thru his body and

Customer Question

He gad an allergic reaction to a wasp stung he's got swollen bumps thru his body and thru up but after taking care of him and the benedryl he was ok in the morning now we only see that he dry heaves at times but still playful
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long ago was the sting? Has it totally settled?
Is he still on the Benadryl?
What dose did you give? How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
last sunday and it was 1/2 of a tablet and he is 21 lbs he was ok less thn 24 hrs his swelling went down and all but we just see he has a little dry heaves in the am and selective of his food.. but a little heaving like if he had a hairball butit water and clear to white
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The benedryl was given only once
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
We can see residual nausea secondary to the wasp stings and when Benadryl is given in some dogs. So, either is a consideration here and a trigger for this nausea cycle he is caught in. Therefore, further to the light diet you are offering (which is perfect but you could also add in some boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or cottage cheese as a protein source), I would suggest starting him on an antacid for the next few days to see if we can break that nausea cycle for him. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid ( More Info/Dose: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx) or Zantac (More Info/Dose: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx). This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if he does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease his upset stomach. And if he is mostly heaving in the morning, do give this +/- a small snack at bed time to keep his stomach soothed in the morning.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How many times should i give him the pepcid in the morning only?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
You can start giving it in the morning or at bed time. But if need be, it can safely be given up to every 8 hours.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A whole tablet they usually come in flavors is that ok .he's 21 lb
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Flavors don't matter as long as there is no xylitol in the tablet. The dose is weight and tablet strength based, as you will have seen from the link I provided above. Therefore, a 21lb dog can have 5-10.5mg at each dosing. That could translate into a whole tablet if it was a 10mg one but half it is a 20mg one.
Take care,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
.the only thing that i have is tumms is that ok..or go and get pepcid..but i tought tumms where...pepcid...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Pepcid would be better, but you could use the Tumms for the short term (60-120mg every 8 hours)
Take care,
Dr. B.