Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 6 year old German Shepherd female.

Customer Question

.I have a 6 year old German Shepherd female. I keep her in top condition and compete with her. She has had some symptoms that are starting to concern me.
Friday she vomited grass, mucus, and it was lined in blood. The vet told me to keep an eye one it. So we have been, her appetite, energy level, etc have been well. No fever. Out of no where she vomited again. A hunk of grass, mucus and blood. She was off her food this evening and as soon as she vomited she ate her food. The smell is rancid (think almost bad raw meat). She has also been doing a slight mucus cough but not coughing hard or what would give me tell tell signs of kennel cough. Monday she had loose stools(semi solid). but I assumed that had to do with holding it longer than she needed to as her stools have been decent.
Still no temperature, drinks water well...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No fever (temp is 101.9)
She has not been vomiting food.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Called vet and he said not to be concerned currently. However I will be seeking a second opinion in the morning. Just trying to gather ideas on what it could be.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
How much blood have you seen? A spoonful, more, less?
Does any of her vomit look like brown coffee ground type material?
Was the stool black?
Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Did her vet advise any supportive care for her?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A spoon full each time sounds about right.She hasn't had an episode since but did start her heat 4 days ago with no complicationsNo brown coffee (but a chunk of grass)Mild tensing in abdomin afterwards but not currently.Still normalGums normal (wet and pink)No toysWas put on 5 days of antibiotics, probiotics and a digestive enzyme.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
Now with such a delay in your reply and with it sounding like she is on treatment already, can you tell me if you still wanted to discuss this situation? Or would you prefer I sent your question back to customer service for a refund?
What signs would you note she has now, as she is on treatment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you could send my question back to customer service for a refund that would be great.
Thank you for your time, she's much better and hasn't had any further episodes.