Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 20 month old female great dane has developed diahrreaa over

Customer Question

my 20 month old female great dane has developed diahrreaa over the last couple of days - nothing changed with her food and super energetic as ever. last couple of days she's done her business regularly morning and night but today came home from work and her crate was full...was fun to clean her up....wondering if there is anything to do in the short term. her food is unchanged - vet diet for grand race. I see reference to giving pepto bismal is that really ok to try?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Any blood in the stool? 2- is she vomiting? 3- How much does she weigh? 4- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no blood in stool
no vomit
120lbs
no other
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, intestinal parasites, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:1- Pepto Bismol 1 tablespoon every 8-12 hours for 1-2 days. 2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter