Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Have new teacup Yorkie about 2lbs I noticed she shredded her

Customer Question

Have new teacup Yorkie about 2lbs I noticed she shredded her puppy pad when I was out. She was just dry heaving in corner but nothing came out. Not sure how much she actually ate but she is laying around and not her normal puppy self.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your new pup shredded and likely ingested part of her puppy pad while you were out, and is now dry heaving. Unfortunately at this point your best plan of action is to have a veterinarian examine her. If they can identify that the pad pieces are still in her stomach they can induce vomiting and hopefully get them out before they cause an intestinal obstruction which will require surgery.If she were feeling fine we could try some things at home, but since she is laying around (lethargic) and dry heaving she is beyond home care now.I understand that isn't the advice that you were necessarily hoping for, and I would like to give you options to try at home, but at this point since she is sick they wouldn't work and she will only get sicker.Please let me know if you have any further questions.