Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a question about my dog. He has been white goo in his

Customer Question

I have a question about my dog. He has been white goo in his eyes for about six month now. I took him to the vet after the second month, she attributed the white goo due to allergies and prescribed an eye drop that treats for both allergies and little bit of a bacteria infection. The drops have done nothing and the goo seems to be getting worse. What do you think this is? and what can I do to treat it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How old is your dog? 2- Did your vet do a tear test? 3- Is the goo thick?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. dog is 5 yrs, has not had this problem prior to this yr.
2. vet tested for scratches on cornea and found none
3. yes goo is very thick
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the discharge you are seeing in the eyes is mucus. A very common condition that causes an increase production in mucus in the eyes is "dry eyes (keratoconjunctivitis sicca); this is when the eyes stop producing the watery component of tears and as a result increases the production of mucus to maintain the eyes lubricated. In other words, the goo is secondary to a lack of tears.I would have him re-checked by your family veterinarian for a tear test (shimer's test). He will need to be placed on medication (cyclosporin). Dry eye can be uncomfortable and untreated can lead to ulcers of the cornea (first layer of the eye). In the meantime, this is what you can do:1- Pick up in your local pharmacy eye wash and irrigate eyes; clean with a moist gauze. 2- After flushing and cleaning apply over the counter tear supplements. 3- Do the above 3-6 times a day. 4- As long as you keep the eye lubricated as above you will not see mucus. 5- The day he is to see your family veterinarian do Not flush or clean the eyes. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter