Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a female dog she been fix but my male dogs

Customer Question

I have a female dog she been fix for years but my male dogs r try to hump her is there a reason and what can i do thank u
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your male dogs are trying to hump your spayed, female dog and I'd like to help.Humping behavior between dogs is sexual but it is also a dominance behavior.Maddie may be on the bottom of this dominance hierarchy and your males may be trying to sure she's aware of it. If this is a new behavior there may be something that happened recently (changes in home routine, illness, strays) that has things unsettled and the boys may be reacting to it this way.Some dogs are very passive and just allow this behavior. But you don't have to, you can tell the boys to knock it off. If they display this behavior they should be put in time out.If this has always been a part of their relationship but seems to have increased in frequency or started suddenly I would encourage you to take Maddie in for a physical. It can happen more frequently if the submissive one is unwell, especially if there is blood in the urine or stool. So a urinary tract infection, urinary calculi, colitis or anal gland problems can predispose to this behavior.Any change in health that makes her weaker or makes her smell like blood can trigger this by more dominant dogs. Even though she is spayed endocrine system abnormalities and changes in hormone levels, which could make her smell differently could trigger this. Best of luck with your pups, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I just wanted to make sure that you received the information that you needed and didn't have any further questions. Please feel free to respond with any further questions you may have or if you are all set please rate my response so I may receive credit for my work, thank you, ***** *****